These little broiled scallop bacon bundle appetizers are quick to put together, delicious and make a great impression on your guests. They are a simple, yet elegant appetizer. These scallops are also great as a main course. I like to eat a few of them along with vegetables and a salad – a nice light, great tasting and healthy dinner.
- 6 slices of prosciutto, try to find super thin slices (about .5 oz each)
- 6 large sea scallops, if frozen, thaw overnight in refrigerator, rinse and pat dry
- 1/2 T. butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2–1 jalapeno, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 T. homemade chipotle seasoning (or use store bought seasoning)
- 2 T. crumbled bacon
- olive oil spray
- green onions, trimmed and cut into long strips
- cilantro (garnish)
- In a small saucepan, bring enough water (to cover green onions) to boil.
- Add green onion tops to boiling water and boil for about 1 minute.
- Drain and place onions in ice water. Drain again and pat dry.
- In a small bowl or custard cup, combine melted butter and garlic.
- Place a slice of prosciutto down on a cutting board. Place a scallop on top.
- Brush with the melted garlic butter. Sprinkle homemade chipotle seasoning on top.
- Bring up ends of prosciutto together. Twist prosciutto at the top, try to tuck everything in and tie top with a piece of green onion.
- Broil for 6-8 minutes until scallop temperature reaches 115°. Final temperature ends up being around 125°. Top with cilantro for garnish.
- To bake these instead, preheat oven to 350°. Bake for about 15 minutes until temperature reaches about 115°. Serve immediately.