This is a great healthy homemade spicy chicken sausage to have on hand in the freezer. It makes a big batch. Whenever you need a quick meal, pull this out. You may think 6 lbs is a lot but believe me when you see how much you can do with it, 6 lbs goes fast. See my notes at the bottom for great quick ideas! The original recipe came from Emeril. This is my adaptive version of it.
- 6 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or use chicken breasts for 0 points
- 2 1/2 T. of garlic cloves, minced (I use 18 cloves and put in my food processor)
- 5 T. chili powder
- 10 T. smoked paprika
- 4 t. cayenne pepper (omit or use less if you don’t like spicy sausage)
- 1 T. chipotle powder
- 2 t. garlic granules
- 5 t. dried chopped onion
- 4 t. ground cumin
- 2 1/2 T. kosher salt
- 1 T. dried oregano
- 2 1/2 T. black pepper
- Chop the chicken thighs into cubes and place in a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Sometimes your hands are the best mixers.
- Refrigerate for about 24 hours or freeze in freezer seal bags in 1 lb portions.
- When ready to use, place chicken in a food processor (thaw slightly if frozen first) and pulse until finely chopped. You can also process the chicken before you freeze it so it’s ready to go when you’re ready to cook it.
- Cook in a non-stick skillet until done, no need to drain!
Healthy Stuffed Delicata Squash with Spicy Chicken Sausage and Cranberries – fill up already baked squash with the sausage, add some cheese and voila! -Instant dinner. My family loves this!
Add tomatoes and tomato sauce to Spicy Chicken Sausage and serve over zucchini noodles as a spaghetti-like pasta.
Use this sausage to make my Spicy Lasagna Cups.
Put it in burritos.
Use for nachos.