Delicious healthy stuffed Delicata squash with spicy chicken sausage and cranberries is the perfect main dish to serve on a fall or winter’s day. Makes a great Thanksgiving side dish as well. It’s low in points and calories but very filling.
- 3 Delicata, acorn or butternut squash
- olive oil spray from Olive Oil Mister
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb chicken sausage (if you use my recipe with chicken breast it’s 2 points, 4 with chicken thighs, if you buy store bought, it may be different)
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, chanterelles, or baby bellas
- 1 T. fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 T. fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 4 T. dried cranberries or dried cherries
- 4 T. parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Slice Delicata squash (this one is easier to slice than most of them) in half. Scoop out seeds and pulp.
- Spray with olive oil spray (from Olive Oil Mister). Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet (I like to line mine with parchment paper for easy clean up) cut side down.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until tender. For different squashes you may need to bake them longer.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, spray non stick skillet with olive oil. Add onions, garlic, celery, mushrooms, sage and thyme. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add chicken sausage and cook, breaking up clumps until done.
- When squash is done baking, turn over, place about 3/4 c. chicken sausage mixture into Delicata shell. Top with 1 T. dried cranberries and 1 T. parmesan cheese. Broil for just a minute or so until cheese is melted. Serve right away.