Parmesan Crusted Chicken Bruschetta, crispy tender chicken cooked to perfection in your air fryer or oven and topped with roasted tomatoes and burrata cheese. It’s definitely a crowd pleaser and you can even freeze the baked chicken for quick meals later. Just reheat in the oven or air fryer.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thigh filets-about 1 1/2 lbs
- 1 egg
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 T. water
- 1/3 c. Italian bread crumbs
- 1/3 c. parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 c. panko
- 1 T. oregano
- 1/2 t. thyme
- 1/2 T. kosher salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- olive oil spray (from Olive Oil Sprayer)
- 8 oz of burrata cheese (one large one cut into 8 pieces, wait until ready to serve before cutting it)
- 2 c. Quick and Easy Roasted Tomato sauce (don’t use the food processor, just leave the tomatoes whole for this recipe)
- 2 medium zucchinis-spiralized into noodles
- drizzle of a good quality Balsamic vinegar (about 1 t. per serving or more if you like it)
- fresh basil for garnish, if desired.
- In a small bowl, mix egg, minced garlic and water.
- In a shallow bowl or on a large plate, mix bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, panko, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Place a piece of chicken on a piece of parchment, fold over and pound chicken until thin, or use a ziplock bag. Do this for all pieces.
- Dip chicken pieces first in egg mixture, then in crumb mixture. Push down on breading so it becomes completely covered. Transfer to a plate or cookie sheet. Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat air fryer or oven to 425°.
- Arrange chicken pieces in basket, spray with oil spray on both sides. (I have the Breville Smart Oven Air so I can do all the chicken at once, you may have to do yours in batches.)
- Air fry for about 10 minutes until browned and crispy looking – (internal temperature of chicken at least 165°) With different air fryers, it may take more or less time. You can also bake it in the oven on a baking sheet lined with a piece of foil at 425° for about 20 minutes. Be sure and flip over chicken half-way through baking time. The air fryer does a better job at creating a crispier chicken but the oven does work.
- When the chicken is almost done, heat a non-stick skillet to medium high heat. Spray a bit of olive oil and add zucchini noodles. Cook for a few minutes until almost done. Be careful not to overcook them or they will be mushy. Transfer to a plate.
- After chicken is done, for each individual serving: arrange a chicken thigh on a bed of zucchini noodles. Top with roasted tomatoes. Add 1 oz of burrata cheese on top and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Garnish with a piece of fresh basil.
Although I really truly feel strongly about using chicken thighs especially for this recipe as they are more tender and juicy, you can also use 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts-cut in half but you will need to increase the eggs to 2 and increase the bread crumbs to 2/3 c. Freestyle Smart Points for this version is 6.
The best way to freeze the cooked chicken is to “flash freeze,” them first on a cookie sheet for at least 30 min, then transfer to vacuumed sealed bags or Ziplock bags (but use those right away). When ready to reheat, bake or air fry at 350° until hot.