This Healthy Basil Port Wine Vinaigrette is the perfect crown to my Summer Melon Caprese Salad. Sweet, savory and delicious! Super easy to make especially if you have an immersion blender. Be sure and use a quality port wine, pinot and balsamic vinegar. It makes a big difference!
- 2 tablespoons sweet onion, chopped
- olive oil spray
- 1 cup port (use a quality drinking port)
- 1/4 cup pinot noir
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar – use a good quality balsamic vinegar, this is important
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2–3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Spray saucepan with olive oil spray.
- Heat to medium high heat. Add onions. Saute onions until slightly brown.
- Add port and pinot noir. Boil for about 8 minutes. Reduce mixture to about 3/4 cup. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- In an immersion blender, add balsamic and honey.
- Add port mixture and blend. Add basil and blend. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add olive oil and lightly blend. Keeps 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator.