Don’t let the idea of, “Homemade Noodles,” scare you. They are super easy to make and take no time at all. The noodles are so worth it in this delicious, comforting, healthy chicken noodle soup. I like to make a batch of this soup and serve it for dinner and then freeze the leftovers in 1 cup portion freezer seal bags. When anyone at my house is sick, I can instantly pull out my homemade soup and heat it up in a hurry.
For the stock:
- 1 4 lb whole chicken, insides removed
- 2 large onions, sliced in half
- 2 c. baby carrots
- 1 head of garlic, sliced in half (paper skins on)
- 1 turnip, sliced in quarters
- 1 parsnip, sliced in half
- 1 T. Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 2 inch piece of ginger cut in several pieces
- 1/2 T. kosher salt
- 1 T. whole black peppercorns
- 1–2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1–2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 c. water
For the soup:
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 c. baby carrots, or more if desired, cut into small pieces
- 2 turnips, chopped into cubes
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1–2 t. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1–2 t. fresh thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
For the noodles:
- 2 c. flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. kosher salt
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 egg shell of water if needed-from Granny’s directions (about 1 T.)
For the stock:
- Place the stock ingredients into a 6 or 8 qt Instant Pot (chicken, onion chunks, 2 c. baby carrots, sliced head of garlic, turnip and parsnip chunks, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, ginger, salt, peppercorns, fresh rosemary and thyme). Add water. This should cover the chicken.
- Put lid on Instant Pot, set knob to sealing, and press manual (high pressure) and set time for 30 minutes.
- When finished, allow to sit for 10 minutes then release pressure.
To Make Soup:
- While Instant Pot is cooking, spray a non stick skillet with oil from Olive Oil Mister and set heat to medium high.
- Sauté ingredients for soup: chopped onions, minced garlic, carrots, turnips and celery. Cook about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- When Instant Pot is done, wait 10 minutes, then release pressure. Carefully strain out cooked vegetables with a slotted spoon and throw those away. Remove skin and debone chicken. Chop chicken into pieces and set aside.
- Add sautéed vegetables from skillet into Instant Pot. Add cooked deboned, skinned chicken pieces to the broth. Add herbs. Cover with lid, set to sealing again. Press, “Soup,” and decrease time to 10 min. When soup is finished, allow to soup to sit for 10 minutes, then release pressure. Adjust spices, add more salt and pepper if necessary.
To make the noodles:
- While the soup is cooking, in a medium bowl, mix dry ingredients. Add in eggs and mix with a fork until just blended. Add 1/2 egg shell of water if needed.
- Place dough on a heavily floured board. Knead for about 3 times, then cover with a towel and allow to rest at least 10-15 min.
- Lightly roll out dough into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick, add flour often to prevent sticking. You don’t have to press hard at all. Place a little flour on top of rolled out dough. Roll up very loosely. Cut dough into 1/2 inch wide slices with a knife. If the slices seem sticky, dip each slice on both sides in flour before shaking out or separating the noodle. Be sure and check out the pictures in the post for clarification. Separate noodle strips and lay them on the floured board until ready to cook. If you roll them out too early, be sure and cover with a towel to prevent them from drying out.
- After soup is done, turn Instant Pot to, “Sauté,” add noodles using a floured spatula turner and cook a few minutes until done.
- Serve immediately or cool then freeze into 1 c. portions.
If you must use store bought egg noodles ( I don’t recommend this, the homemade ones are way better!) they need to cook longer than the homemade ones. Put them in when you making the soup.
I use my big 8 qt Instant Pot for this one, but you can easily make it in a 6 qt Instant Pot. During the last step when adding the noodles, if you think there isn’t enough room, just ladle out some of the soup into a bowl and then add the noodles into the Instant Pot and finish the recipe.