Looking for an easy Instant Pot comfort soup? This healthy Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup is perfect! Similar to that coziness of chicken noodle soup but with a Mexican flair using tortillas instead of noodles. Not much prep work involved -basically chop the onions, throw in the chicken and spices, press the soup button for 30 min and that’s it!
You can also make it on the stove, see notes at the bottom of recipe for directions.
- 2 onions, chopped
- olive oil spray or 2 t. olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T. homemade chipotle seasoning
- 2 t. kosher salt
- 1 t. chili powder
- 1 1/2 t. coriander
- 1 T. smoked paprika
- 1 T. cumin
- 1/4 t. chipotle powder
- 1 t. oregano
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, breasts or use about a 3 1/2 lb. whole chicken
- 2 c. Parmesan chicken broth or regular chicken broth
- 1 c. tomatillo salsa or green salsa (optional)
- 2 tomatillos, husks removed, then chopped (optional)
- 3 c. water (or you can use all broth)
- 2 cans black beans, drained
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can green chiles, mild
- 2 pasilla peppers or poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 small corn tortillas, torn into pieces (optional)
- cilantro for garnish
- Press “Sauté” on the Instant Pot, heat until hot. Spray liner pot with olive oil spray and add chopped onions and peppers. Cook for a few minutes until softened. Add garlic and 1 T. homemade chipotle seasoning and brown a bit more. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add remaining spices, Parmesan chicken broth or broth, water, tomatillo salsa, tomatillos, black beans, corn, and green chiles.
- Add chicken thighs (or breasts or whole chicken).
- Press “Soup,” and cook on high pressure according to setting or do manual and pressure cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Allow to natural release for about 10 minutes, then release pressure.
- Serve with torn tortillas.
To make this Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup on the stove:
Heat a big stock pot on medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté until soft. Add garlic and chipotle seasoning.
Add chicken (for stove top, cut chicken into bite sized pieces) and brown for a few minutes.
Add remaining ingredients (except tortillas). Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Boil for about 5 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer on low with lid partially closed for 45 minutes. Serve with torn tortillas and garnish with cilantro.
Other helpful hints:
If you’re using a whole chicken, no need to use broth. Just add enough water to fill the pot up to max line on Instant Pot.
Freeze this soup into 1 c. portions and you’ll always have a nice comfort soup in the freezer whenever you need it. I started doing this when I made chicken noodle soup as my kids would get my homemade soup when they were sick, but when I was sick, I was stuck with canned soup. I started freezing soup so I had a nice homemade one if I’m ever sick.