Delicious tender pieces of beef with fresh broccoli. So yummy! This Instant Pot Mongolian Beef and Broccoli is super easy to make and is definitely a family pleaser. It’s made with flank steak, although you could also use top or bottom round steak as well.
- 2 lbs flank steak
- 1/2 T. salt
- dash of black pepper
- 1 T. sesame oil
- 1/2 T. fresh ginger grated
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2/3 c. brown sugar
- 3/4 c. soy sauce light
- 1–2 T. red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 T. rice wine vinegar
- 2 T. cornstarch
- 8 cups fresh broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Cut meat against the grain into small bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. See notes at the bottom.
- Turn Instant Pot to “Sauté”, add sesame oil and heat until hot.
- Add meat in batches and brown. Remove from pot.
- Add garlic and ginger and sauté for about 30 sec.
- Add in soy sauce, brown sugar, red pepper flakes and rice wine vinegar and meat.
- Cover with lid. Set pressure to high for 5 minutes on sealing. When finished, allow to natural release for 8 minutes, then release pressure.
- In a small cup or bowl, add cornstarch. Add a few tablespoons of sauce from meat. Stir well, then add cornstarch mixture to Instant Pot. Stir. Set Instant Pot to “Sauté,” and cook until boiling. Turn off pot.
- Add broccoli, stir. Set Instant Pot to high pressure again (sealing) for 1 minute. This will take some time so if you’re in a hurry and don’t mind 2 bowls, you can always microwave or steam the broccoli separately but it’s nice doing it in the Instant Pot so it’s all in one pot. When finished, do quick release. Stir and serve with rice or cauliflower rice.
It’s very important to cut the meat against the grain, otherwise the pieces will be tough and hard to chew. It’s easy to tell the grain on a flank steak. Place the flank steak on a cutting board with the lines in the meat going horizontal. Cut the meat opposite of the fibers (lines in the meat)- up and down. You’ll have very tender pieces when doing it this way. See picture in post.
If you want the color of your broccoli to be brilliant green, I suggest steaming it separately or cooking it in the microwave. When you cook it all together in the Instant Pot, the broccoli loses its green color and is less vibrant.