These Spicy Chipotle Black Bean Burgers taste so amazing that you won’t even miss the meat! Make them up ahead of time and have them ready in the freezer to eat whenever you want one. No need to heat up the grill, these healthy black bean burgers are baked right in your oven! Feel free to vary up the vegetables with your own favorites!
- 2 cans (15 oz) black beans (drained, rinsed)
- 1/2 c. mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 c. red pepper, finely chopped
- 4–5 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 c. yellow or sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 T. homemade chipotle seasoning
- 2 t. cumin
- 1/4–1/2 t. kosher salt
- 1 t. pepper
- 1/2 T. smoked paprika
- 2 T. ketchup
- 1/4–1/2 t. Liquid Smoke (optional)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 c. finely ground oatmeal (use your food processor) or you can use bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Place beans on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pat beans dry with paper towel. Bake for 15 minutes. This will dry them out a bit and prevent mushy burgers.
- In a large skillet, spray olive oil using olive oil mister. Heat to medium.
- Add mushrooms, pepper, garlic, and onions. Saute for about 6-8 minutes.
- In a food processor or with a fork, slightly mash the black beans.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, combine beans, vegetable mixture, spices, remaining ingredients, oatmeal and eggs.
- Scoop mixture using a 1/3 c. measuring cup and place mounds on parchment paper. Form into patties.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then flip and bake another 10 minutes.
- Use immediately or freeze for later use.
See post for notes on how to freeze and reheat burgers.