Make these Spicy Lasagna Appetizers ahead and keep them on hand for a quick dinner or easy appetizer.
Smart Points: 1 smart point each if using mini muffin pan or 2 smart points each if using regular muffin pan
- 1 pkg wonton wrappers-(the small square ones)
- olive oil spray (I like to use my Olive Oil Sprayer)
- 6 oz. mozzarella, shredded
- 1 c. Marinara sauce (add link) or use a store bought one
- 1/2 lb. my Spicy Chicken Sausage or use a store bought one and add 1 T. of your own seasoning-Italian, chipotle, etc
- 3 oz. ricotta cheese part skim
- 6 oz. parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray mini muffin tins with olive oil spray.
- Place a wonton wrapper in each muffin cup. You can trim them to fit exactly in the cup, but I think they look prettier when the points are sticking up, plus it’s easier to pick them up. Place a damp paper towel while you’re working over the wonton wrappers so they don’t dry out.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken sausage. Add marinara sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In each cup place 1 t. mozzarella, then top with 1 rounded t. sauce, 1/2 t. ricotta and 1 t. parmesan. If you are making regular muffin size cups, use 1 T. of mozzarella, 1 T. sauce, 1/2 T. ricotta and 1 T. parmesan.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 10-15 min until cheese is bubbly. Be sure and watch them so the wonton tips do not burn. Allow to cool for a few minutes so they firm up a bit before transferring to a serving plate. Serve immediately or cool then freeze for 20 min on a cookie sheet, then transfer to ziplock bags or plastic containers. To reheat, preheat oven to 350°, thaw them out slightly (while the oven is preheating) and bake on a cookie sheet until cheese is bubbly about 10-15 minutes. Again, be careful to watch so the wonton tips do not burn.
When I make these, I double the batch and freeze them for unexpected guests.