This thick, tangy lime curd is easy to make and turns out great every time. Make it in the microwave in just minutes and it will thicken up as it cools. It’s great as a topper or sauce for my cheesecake and scones. It also makes cute little tartlet desserts and more! This is the recipe that I served at my tea room, Afternoon to Remember for many years.
- 1/2 c. butter, unsalted
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. lime juice – use concentrate for this one, fresh doesn’t actually have enough flavor
- 3 eggs
- Melt the butter in the microwave for 1 minute.
- In a large glass bowl (not metal) beat eggs with a hand mixer until frothy.
- Add in melted butter, sugar and lemon juice. Mix again.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Beat again with mixer until smooth and then microwave again for another 3 minutes. Beat again until smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator until set. It will thicken as it cools. This lemon curd will keep about 2 weeks in the refrigerator. Serve with scones or my famous cheesecake. Makes about 1 cup of curd.
I can’t believe I’m actually saying this, but I do find the taste is better when you use a concentrated lemon/lime juice instead of fresh lime juice. I am a big fan of everything homemade, natural, fresh squeezed, but the flavor is better with the concentrate on this one.