This Summer Melon Caprese Salad is such a unique balance of sweet and savory – with the cantaloupe and Basil Port Wine Vinaigrette and the prosciutto, arugula and pine nuts. I’m so in love! Be sure to find a nice ripe cantaloupe for this one, it makes a big difference! Serve it in a pretty bowl or plate individually.
- 2 oz. prosciutto, sliced
- 1 ripe cantaloupe, washed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 10 leaves of fresh basil
- 4 tablespoons of pine nuts
- 2 oz. mozzarella pearls – would also be great with burrata cheese
- 2 cups spring mix
- 2 cups arugula, or other greens if you don’t like arugula
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- Basil Port Wine Vinaigrette
- Cut the cantaloupe into bite sized pieces. You can also use a melon baller. It looks definitely prettier but I feel like it wastes a lot of the cantaloupe so I usually just cut it into pieces.
- Slice the prosciutto into small strips.
- Toast the pine nuts in the broiler for just a few minutes. Watch carefully so they don’t burn.
- Arrange the arugula, spring mix in a pretty bowl or individual plates/bowls.
- Arrange the cantaloupe on top of greens.
- Sprinkle with pine nuts, mozzarella pearls, basil and red onion.
- Drizzle with Port Wine Basil Vinaigrette.
If you serve the dressing on the side, the salad will last a few days in the refrigerator.