This tomato mozzarella salad is simple, yet elegant and tastes absolutely amazing if you use fresh homegrown or farmer’s market tomatoes and a great quality balsamic vinegar. For the best look, plate them individually on salad plates when serving for a dinner party.
- 1 tomato – Romas work well, you can use any kind but make sure they are fresh. I like Romas because of the long shape
- 3–6 fresh basil leaves
- 1 oz.Mozzarella Pearls if you can find them or Mozzarella Ciliegine
- 1 T. balsamic vinegar – use a good quality, the thicker the better. My absolute favorite is 18 year old traditional balsamic from Mediterraneo but I also love the oils and vinegars from Trio Carmel.
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Wash tomato and pat dry with paper towel.
- Slice the tomato evenly being careful not to cut down all the way to the bottom.
- Arrange the basil and Mozzarella Pearls or Ciliegine in between each slice of tomato. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve right away. You can make these up ahead of time, just don’t put the vinegar on until right before serving.