Instant Pot Manhattan Cranberry Sauce is a unique cranberry sauce with orange juice, bourbon and sweet vermouth. It’s name, “Cranberry Manhattan,” comes from the holiday drink. The original recipe was given to me by Nancy Kamens who belongs to a Facebook Group I’m in, called, “Instant Pot Recipes for Weight Watchers.” She was kind enough to share the recipe. I told her I would adapt it for the Instant Pot and add my own touches including WW Smart Points.
- 1 lb cranberries
- 1 c. orange juice
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 1/2 T. fresh ginger root, grated or 1/2 t. ground ginger
- 3 oz bourbon, whiskey or brandy
- 1 oz sweet vermouth
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple, drained (unsweetened)
- zest from one orange
- To the Instant Pot combine: cranberries, orange juice, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, bourbon, and sweet vermouth.
- Press, “Sauté,” and heat just a few minutes until boiling. You want to boil off the alcohol on the bourbon and vermouth before you pressure cook it.
- Turn off Instant Pot. Put on the lid, set the vent to sealing (on the newer models you may not need to do this).
- Press manual/high pressure and set for 2-4 minutes. If you like your cranberry sauce, more sauce, then do 4, if you like to see whole berries, then do 2-3 minutes. When it’s finished, allow to natural release for about 10 minutes, then release pressure.
- Add drained crushed pineapple and freshly grated orange zest. Stir well and taste to see if it’s sweet enough. If not, add a bit more sugar but you do want it kind of tart since it is cranberry sauce. Allow to cool. Refrigerate or freeze. Serve cold or at room temperature. Can be refrigerated up to 2 weeks.
This recipe tastes best when made a few days ahead of time.
You can also add the alcohol in at the end after cooking if you don’t want to “boil” it off. Something to remember: If you put any kind of alcohol in the Instant Pot and want to pressure cook it, you must boil it off first. Otherwise the pressure cooker doesn’t allow alcohol to evaporate while cooking and the food will taste bitter.