Looking for an easy healthy Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff recipe? This is it! Delicious tender beef and mushrooms, comfort food at its best! Serve over zucchini noodles for a low carb option. Only 204 calories or 6 ww freestyle smartpoints per serving. No cans, just homemade from scratch goodness! Recipe also includes stove top directions.
- 1 lb. lean beef (round, sirloin) sliced thin and cut into small strips
- 1/2 lg. onion, finely chopped
- 1 c. baby carrots, finely chopped, or 2–3 whole carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 T. butter
- olive oil spray from mister
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 c. brandy or cognac
- 1 c. homemade beef bone broth, canned beef broth or chicken stock
- 1/2 T. Dijon mustard
- 1 t. smoked paprika
- 1/2 T. fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 lb. cremini, or baby bella mushrooms
- 2 T. cornstarch
- 6 oz. light sour cream – bring it to room temperature before adding it in to prevent curdling
- Spray Instant Pot liner with olive oil spray. Push, “Sauté.”
- Add butter to Instant Pot.
- Add beef in batches-cover bottom of pot with first layer of beef. Sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook until browned mostly on all sides. Do not overcook. Remove with slotted spoon to a bowl/plate. Add next batch of beef, repeat. If browned bits, start to stick, don’t worry, we’ll deglaze them in a minute. While beef is browning, chop onions, garlic and carrots ( To do this I use a food processor).
- When all of the beef has been browned and removed from pot, add in onions, brown for a few minutes, add garlic, carrots and mushrooms. Add olive oil spray only if needed. Brown for about 3 minutes, stirring often. Don’t let them burn, they may stick to pot but don’t let them get burnt.
- Add brandy, turn off pot and deglaze pot for a minute. (Stir with a wooden spoon, scraping up any brown bits on bottom of pot).
- Add stock, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon, paprika and thyme.
- Add reserved beef. Combine well.
- Place lid on pot. Set to sealing. Press, “Manual,” or “Pressure Cook,” and set to 8 minutes.
- When finished, allow to natural release for 5 minutes. Release pressure, then turn off.
- To a small liquid measuring cup add a few tablespoons of sauce. Add cornstarch to cup and stir well. Pour mixture back into Instant Pot. Press, “Sauté,” and sauté for a few minutes until sauce is thickened. (If you just dump the cornstarch into the Instant Pot, the corn starch will clump. You want to mix it in a small amount of sauce first, then pour it in).
- Turn off Instant Pot. Stir in light sour cream. Taste, adjust for salt and pepper. Serve immediately over zucchini or butternut squash noodles, spaghetti squash or egg noodles.
Instructions for Stove Top:
- Spray large skillet/pot (with lid) with olive oil spray. Add butter.
- Heat on medium high heat.
- Add beef (in batches), sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper. Brown.
- Remove meat from skillet.
- Spray pan with more olive oil spray, add onions, garlic, mushrooms and carrots. Brown lightly. Don’t worry about ingredients sticking too much on bottom of pan, you’ll be deglazing it soon. Just don’t let them burn.
- Add beef back in, broth, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, paprika, and thyme.
- Cover and cook on as low as possible for about 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- Take out about 1/4 c of the sauce and place in a bowl or liquid measuring cup. Add 2 T. cornstarch and blend well. Add “slurry” (sauce and cornstarch) back into pan. Cook for a few minutes until sauce thickens.
- Add sour cream. Slowly heat back up but be careful not to boil. Then serve immediately.
- Be sure not to “cook” the sour cream, otherwise it will curdle. If it does curdle, it doesn’t affect the taste, just the appearance.