Delicious pork carnitas made in your Instant Pot and crisped in your oven. Make a big batch and freeze some for later!
- 1 t. smoked paprika
- 1 t. chipotle powder
- 1 t. granulated garlic
- 2 T. ground cumin
- 2 t. dried oregano
- 2 t. kosher salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 5 pound pork shoulder, trimmed
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- Trim the pork shoulder and cut out as much of the excess fat as possible. Just do your best, you won’t be able to get it all and that’s ok. Just cut out the main fat pieces.
- Cut pork into 2 inch cubes.
- In a small bowl mix together smoked paprika, chipotle powder, granulated garlic, cumin, oregano, kosher salt, and black pepper.
- In a large bowl with your hands combine pork pieces, combined spices, onions and garlic. Massage the spices and onions thoroughly into the meat.
- Add squeezed oranges and limes to the pork mixture. Combine well.
- Marinate the meat for at least 3 hours or preferably overnight.
- Take the meat out of the marinade and reserve marinade.
- If using Instant Pot: Brown meat in batches in the Instant Pot on saute setting with a little olive oil sprayed in bottom of pot. Or use a non stick skillet on the stove to brown the meat. Sometimes I find this is easier than browning a lot of meat in the Instant Pot. When finished browning, put all of the meat back into Instant Pot. Turn off pot, then add marinade to the meat mixture.
- Press manual and using high pressure, cook for 90 minutes. Allow steam to naturally release. If meat doesn’t fall apart, reset pressure cooker for a few more minutes until done.
- If using crock pot/slow cooker: Brown meat in a skillet. When finished transfer meat mixture into slow cooker, add marinade back in. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- When meat is finished, remove pork shoulder from Instant Pot or slow cooker with a slotted spoon and shred the meat. Pour the juices into a fat separator. After the fat rises to the top, pour juices back into Instant Pot or slow cooker. Then return meat to the juices. Allow to sit for a few minutes so the juices penetrate the shredded meat.
- Preheat oven to broil. With a slotted spoon, place carnitas (leave most of juice in pot) onto a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper and broil until crisp about 3-5 minutes. Stir then add a bit more juice if needed, and broil about 3 minutes more.
Just broil the amount you need for serving if you plan on freezing the left overs. When you’re ready to use the frozen meat, thaw, reheat, then broil for a bit to keep the edges crisp.