Mexican Stuffed Chicken and Bacon Rolls are so yummy you won’t believe they are healthy! This lightened up cream cheese stuffed chicken recipe definitely falls in the comfort food category. Stuffed with green and black olives, pimento, bacon, jalapeño, green onions and a little light cream cheese, they are like a healthy chicken enchilada without the tortilla. Serve them with my homemade Tomatillo Green Salsa or store-bought green salsa and a little Jalapeño Cream.
Can I use chicken breasts instead of thighs?
Of course! I just like thighs better. Thighs are juicier and taste better in my opinion but chicken breasts work great too! You may need to adjust the baking time so be sure and use a thermometer to make sure they are done.
Can you make them up ahead of time?
Yes! You can make these up and store them in the refrigerator for up to a day. I’m sure you could also freeze them and then bake them when you need them, just adjust time and cover with foil until the last 10 minutes or so. You can definitely freeze them after they are baked. Just wrap them up tight to avoid freezer burn. Bake them frozen until hot.
How to make Mexican Stuffed Chicken Roll Ups in pictures:
Combine cream cheese and filling ingredients in a bowl.
Lay out chicken thigh on parchment and trim visible fat.
Add filling and 1 T. shredded cheese.
Roll up thigh, tucking in chicken as you go. You don’t want the filling to leak out.
Dip roll into egg and then into panko .
Place “breaded” chicken rolls on a baking sheet .
Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes until temperature of chicken is at least 165°.
Mexican Stuffed Chicken and Bacon Rolls
- 6 chicken thighs boneless, skinless (about 3-4 oz each), visible fat trimmed or use breasts to save 1 point
- 1 6 oz pkg of light cream cheese
- 3 T. pimento well-drained
- 6 T. crumbled bacon
- 3 T. black olives finely chopped
- 3 T. green olives finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 green onions finely chopped
- 2 T fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 t. cumin
- 1/2 t. kosher salt
- 6 T. cheddar cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 c. panko
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. Tomatillo Salsa or store bought green salsa verde
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a medium bowl, combine: cream cheese, pimento, bacon, black and green olives, jalapeño, green onions, cilantro, cumin and salt. Stir well.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a cutting board. Lay the chicken thigh on paper and fold the paper over. Pound the chicken with a meat mallet (smooth side down) until thin. Do this for all 6 thighs/breasts.
- Place about 1/4 c. filling on top of chicken. Add 1 T. shredded cheese. Carefully roll up, tucking in the chicken as you go so they filling stays inside. Secure with toothpicks if needed.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg. On a plate or shallow dish combine panko, black pepper and salt.
- Dip the chicken roll into the egg, then roll into the panko.
- Arrange chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment or greased/oil sprayed 9x13 dish.
- Bake for 30 min or until temperature of chicken is at least 165°.
- Serve with warm Tomatillo Green Salsa or store-bought green salsa and a little of my Jalapeño Cream.