This Summer Chicken Salad with fresh tomatoes, grilled peaches, avocados, toasted pumpkin seeds and Cumin Lime Vinaigrette is absolutely fantastic and will wow your guests. This makes 4 large main salads, or you can portion out less for side salads. It’s great without the chicken or the avocados as well.
- 8 oz cooked chicken breasts (I use the grilled chicken I have in my freezer)
- 4 c. tomatoes, cherry halved, or larger ones, sliced into chunks
- 4 peaches, pit removed cut in thicker slices for grilling
- 1 small ripe avocado, cut in pieces
- 10–12 c. lettuce or spring greens, torn
- 4 c. fresh spinach
- 4 T. red onion, chopped
- 4 T. crumbled bacon pieces
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 oz queso fresco cheese (optional) about 4 T.
Cumin Lime Vinaigrette
- 2 T. avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 limes (about 1/4 c. juice)
- 1 t. fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 t. fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 2 t. ground cumin
- 1/4 t. kosher salt
- 4 T. water
- 1 t. honey
- 2 T. cilantro, finely chopped
Toasted Pumpkin Seeds or Pepitas
To Make the Cumin Lime Vinaigrette (Makes about 3/4 c. dressing)
- In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, add avocado oil (or olive oil), minced garlic, lime juice, thyme, oregano, cumin, salt, water, honey and cilantro. Mix well or use an immersion blender to blend. Set aside or put in refrigerator.
To Make the Toasted Seasoned Pepitas
- Spray a baking sheet with olive oil spray or place down parchment on a baking sheet.
- Spread pumpkin kernels around and spray with olive oil.
- Sprinkle salt and cumin over the top. Broil until lightly toasted, about 1-2 minutes. Allow to cool.
Easy Grilled Peaches (you can also choose not to grill them or pan fry them)
- Preheat grill to 350°. (A gas grill is great here, no need to do charcoal or you can pan fry them)
- Slice peaches into thick slices, but leave on peel.
- With a basting brush, brush peaches with a little of the Cumin Lime Dressing.
- Grill for 1-2 minutes until you see grill marks. Not very long. Or pan fry for a few minutes. You can leave them in large slices for the salad or cut them into smaller pieces after they are grilled.
To Make the Salad:
- In individual bowls, combine 4 c. lettuce and 1 c. spinach per person.
- To each bowl add: 2 oz chicken, 1/4 of the avocado pieces, 1 c. tomatoes, 1 T. red onion, 1 T. bacon crumbles.
- Arrange grilled peaches on top. Sprinkle with black pepper.
- Sprinkle 1 T. cheese and 1 T. toasted pumpkin seeds on top of each salad.
- Top with 2 T. Cumin Lime Vinaigrette over each salad. Enjoy!
This makes a great side salad without the chicken.
If you need to save on points, leave out the cheese or avocado, the tomatoes and peaches are the main attraction.