I love this Asian Sautéed Radish Salad with Farro! The sautéed radishes and vegetables are good on their own, but I really like them with the farro and Asian dressing. It’s almost like a stir fry or hot salad and very filling. Chinese 5 Spice adds a bit of warmth (not spicy) and comfort to the dish.
- 3 c. farro, cooked (see note at bottom for how to cook in Instant Pot, you need 1 c. uncooked farro)
- 2 c. radishes, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 sweet yellow onions, such as Walla, Walla or Sweet Vidalia, chopped into small pieces
- 1 zucchini, sliced about 1/2 inch thick and each slice cut half (don’t make them too small or they will turn out mushy)
- 2 c. mushrooms, chopped in quarters
- 1 c. asparagus, trimmed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 T. sesame oil, divided (if you can find toasted, it’s the best, but regular sesame oil is fine)
- 1/2 t. kosher salt or more to taste
- 2 t. fresh ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8-1/4 t. Chinese 5 Spice (I’m not a big fan of this spice but I like it in this dish, so I use 1/8 t.)
- 2 T. sesame oil (regular or toasted is fine)
- 1/3 c. soy sauce
- 3 T. Shaosing vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- dash of pepper
- 1 t. fresh ginger, grated
- 1 T. honey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients well. I like to use an immersion blender but you can just stir it thoroughly if you don’t have one.
- Next, preheat a cast iron pan on medium heat while you chop the onions.
- When finished chopping onions, add 1/2 T. sesame oil to the pan. Add the onions.
- Next, chop the radishes, mushrooms and zucchini. Keep stirring the onions occasionally while chopping the other vegetables. You want the onions nice and brown. When they start to really brown, turn down the heat to low while you finish chopping the vegetables or turn to off if you are a slow chopper or they are browning too fast.
- Add the radishes, zucchini, and mushrooms to the onion mixture. Add remaining sesame oil (1/2 T.). Mix well. Turn the heat up to medium high.
- Rinse the asparagus and place in a microwave safe bowl. Be sure there are a few droplets of water in the bowl from rinsing, if not add just a teaspoon of water. Cover (I just use a plate to cover the bowl).
- Microwave the asparagus for about 20 seconds. The asparagus needs a little more time to cook than the rest of the vegetables, thus the reason I pre-cook it a bit in the microwave.
- Add asparagus to mixture. Continue to cook until desired doneness. I like the radishes almost tender when pierced with a fork but I don’t like mushy zucchini so I cook until the zucchini is done.
- Add garlic, ginger, salt and Chinese 5 Spice.
- Cook for just a minute, then remove from pan and place in a serving bowl.
- When ready to eat, dish out 1/2 c. farro on each plate or bowl. Add about 1 c. of vegetables. Spoon 1 T. of the dressing over the vegetables. Enjoy!
I really like to use my Instant Pot to cook farro. It’s quick and easy. Here’s my favorite recipe, it always turns out well: How to Cook Farro in Instant Pot