Quick and Easy Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce tastes so fresh and you can use it in a million ways! No need to peel or seed the tomatoes! Freeze it for later to make soups, pastas, casseroles, pizza sauce (thicken with a little tomato paste) and more!
- 6 c. cherry tomatoes (about 2 pounds)- stems removed. I like using cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes try using mixing different varieties if you can, Sungold (the small yellow ones) make a very sweet sauce.
- olive oil spray (I like to put a basil or oregano oil into my Olive Oil Sprayer)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. fresh basil, finely chopped
- splash of red wine about 1 T. if desired (adding wine gives it a more mature taste, if you want it more of a “fresh tomato taste,” then leave it out.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place tomatoes in a single layer in the pan.
- Spray tomatoes with olive oil and dot with minced garlic.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over tomatoes.
- Bake about 25-30 min until roasted and may be slightly blackened. Cool slightly.
- At this point you can spoon it over cooked chicken or pasta and add finely shredded fresh basil or what I like to do is to put it in the food processor, add the basil and lightly pulse until desired consistency. If you like it chunky, then barely pulse it. If you want more of a sauce, then process it fully. Use within a week or freeze it in small batches for later.
Depending on the sweetness of your tomatoes, you may want to add a tiny bit of sugar (1-2 tsp) if you feel your sauce isn’t sweet enough. If you use all Sun Gold Tomatoes, then it will be really sweet. I try to do a mixture of those with regular cherry tomatoes. See what works for you.
If you want a thicker sauce (for pizza sauce, etc) mix in a 6 oz can of tomato paste with the basil.